My Online Arena: Paul Merson's Verdict on Weekend's Action



The Premier League continues this weekend and, as ever, you can follow all the action.

Ford Football Special: Aston Villa v Wolves
12pm, Sat, Sky Sports HD2
Neither of these sides have done anything wrong so far.
Wolves couldn't have dreamt of a better start. They've won two league games and then avoided a banana skin in the Carling Cup with a changed team. It's been great for Mick McCarthy.
They've come a long way and they seem to go for it a bit more than they did last season. They've realised that, outside the top six, they can give anyone a game.
This is their biggest test so far, but the same can be said for Villa. They've both played Blackburn and Fulham, strangely, but both sets of fans will see this is a big one.
I was completely shocked at how few people were at Villa Park last week - just over 32,000 for the first home game. Maybe people are anti-Alex McLeish, but they need to remember he's a very good manager. Also, he's not a lifetime Birmingham fan is he? He's a Scotsman who went there to do a job.
I don't see people coming back until they start winning games regularly, that's the key. It doesn't matter if the football is attractive or not, it's winning football that will get them back on side.
If they win this it would represent a great start for Villa and I expect it to be an open game. Both teams are full of confidence and will think they can win. It's hard to call and I can see it being a scoring draw.
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-2

Ford Football Special: Liverpool v Bolton
5pm, Sat, Sky Sports HD2
You couldn't have asked any more of the Liverpool players after winning at the Emirates, but I didn't think they were totally convincing.
Arsenal couldn't have played much worse and went down to 10 men, but neither team looked like winning the game before that freak own goal.
Liverpool were held at home by Sunderland in the first game - and look at their form since then - and it's clear the players will take some time to settle. It doesn't happen overnight.
I was impressed that Kenny Dalglish put out a strong team against Exeter. Realistically they can only win one of the two domestic cups this season, so fair play to him for setting out to win the Carling Cup. They are a major player in that competition.
This is a nice game for them. Bolton lost to Man City last week and were second-best against QPR until they scored. If they start like that against Liverpool they will get punished.
I think Bolton will go there cautious and put players behind the ball. In fact, I think Liverpool will earn the respect of teams this season and they'll have to cope with sides putting 10 men behind the ball, like they do at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge.
That's why Andy Carroll is a perfect striker for them. If sides are defending deep then they can get balls to him in the box. I was surprised Luis Suarez didn't start against Arsenal though, because he can open any game up.
Liverpool have had two good results this week and, at home, I think they'll be too much for Bolton.
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-0

Super Sunday: Man Utd v Arsenal
3.30pm, Sun, Sky Sports HD1
I'll be in the Sky Sports studio with Gary Neville at Old Trafford - and I wish I could sit there with a stronger Arsenal team on the pitch!
I want to see Arsenal win the game, but I can't sit there and say they're going to win when I don't believe that. In all honesty, I don't give them a chance.
If you think of their best four players from last season then only Robin van Persie will be there. Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri have gone and Jack Wilshere is injured. Plus, I reckon Alex Song would be one of the first names on the team sheet because he does a different job to everyone else - but he's banned as well.
With Emmanuel Frimpong also suspended, I don't know who'll play in midfield and it's rare to win without solidity in that area. Aaron Ramsey is still coming back from injury and Tomas Rosicky is not really a central midfielder. You can see United running riot in that area.
Arsene Wenger is well short at the moment and you've only got to contrast them with United to see that. Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand were injured against Spurs, but you wouldn't have known it. They've got players to cover, but Arsenal haven't got that.
Sir Alex Ferguson often changes his tactics against Arsenal, but this isn't the Arsenal team of old. He's used young players so far this season and while I'm not sure he'll stick with them over 38 games, I think he will for this one.
The Champions League win was a great result for Arsenal and the players were outstanding. I can't speak highly enough of them but Man United are much better than Udinese. And remember, if Arsenal lose they'll be eight points behind after only three games.
I don't see anything but a Man United victory. I predict a 2-1 win, but if United get going like they did against Tottenham then the scoreline could get scary. It wouldn't surprise me if they scored four.
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-1

The rest of the weekend's games

Blackburn v Everton
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

If Blackburn lose this game then the manager will start feeling the heat already. Everton were very unlucky to lose to a QPR team that only had one shot, but they'll be nervous as well. I think it will be a draw.

Chelsea v Norwich
PAUL PREDICTS: 4-0

Chelsea are out of Norwich's league; too strong and too quick player for player. I watched Norwich at Wigan and I don't see how they can get a result at Stamford Bridge.

Newcastle v Fulham
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

Newcastle have had a good start and the fans will turn up full of expectation. They'll expect to steamroller a Fulham side that lost to Wolves, but I think this will be a banana skin. It should be quite tight.

Swansea v Sunderland
PAUL PREDICTS: 0-2

What a big game for Steve Bruce. After a good draw against Liverpool, they lost to Newcastle and Brighton in games they expected to win. I'd still expect them to have too much for Swansea and if their players perform they should win.

Tottenham v Man City 
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-2

Last season Man City went to Spurs and defended for the whole game. This time I hope they have a right go. If they go to big teams like Spurs and attack them then they've got a great chance of winning the Premier League. They proved against Bolton they've got the players to hurt anybody.

West Brom v Stoke 
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

West Brom have played well against Man United and Chelsea and have come away with nothing. If they play like that again they could win this one, but I think it will be a draw because Stoke are such a hard team to play against.

Wigan v QPR 
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-0

Yet another tight game and you'd have to say it's a six-pointer. I watched Wigan play well in their first game and they should have beaten Swansea last week. I think they'll be too good for QPR, who only had one shot against Everton.


No comments:

Post a Comment