Paul Merson's verdict on all the weekend's games



The Premier League is back, but what will happen on the opening weekend?
We asked Soccer Saturday expert Paul Merson to look at the fixtures and give us his verdict on where the games will be won and lost.
Super Sunday: Stoke City v Chelsea
1pm, Sun
Andre Villas-Boas won't know what day it is when this game kicks off. He won't have seen anything like Stoke City during his time at Porto.
At certain times, Stoke will get the ball down and play, but they play to their strengths and why shouldn't they? Chelsea have got better players, so Tony Pulis knows his best chance is to get the ball in the box quickly. Those tactics have served them well and you don't fix something if it ain't broke. I certainly hope he hasn't changed his philosophy over the summer.
That makes this a hard game for Chelsea. People like John Terry can compete with Stoke's size, but it's a tough first game for a manager who has played good football wherever he's been before. I think he could be shocked by his Premier League baptism.
Chelsea haven't done much in the transfer window, but I think Daniel Sturridge could be like a new signing this year. He's much better than I initially thought he was and will have an impact after his suspension. I'd probably start Didier Drogba, especially if Fernando Torres is injured, because he can have an impact in both boxes. A big centre-forward is a massive advantage against Stoke.
Chelsea have a very experienced team and will be right up there, but anybody who goes to the Britannia Stadium and gets three points nowadays has done very well. They've already got two hard-fought Europa League games under their belts, while Chelsea have been around the world playing here there and everywhere. In that respect, the home team will have the edge.
I think it will be a draw - and I think that's a good result for Chelsea.
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

Super Sunday: West Brom v Man Utd
3.30pm, Sun
For teams like Stoke and West Brom it's sometimes better to play the big boys at home right at the start of the season. Players aren't fully fit, nobody's had proper match practice and that levels the playing field. It doesn't do any harm to get some of those games out of the way.
So this will be a tough game for Manchester United, but I was very impressed with them in the Community Shield. They had pace and youth and they've bought well over the summer. They showed why they are the team to beat this season.
I think Roy Hodgson has bought well, too. Zoltan Gera has an edge about him and can do something out of the ordinary in a tight game, which is priceless for teams in the bottom half. I like Ben Foster in goal and I think he's been unlucky at times in the past. I'm not sure about Shane Long though, I'll need to see how he fits in first.
I think Hodgson will keep them up, but West Brom can't afford to have a go at Man United here; they need to be cagey or else they will be hit by some unbelievable pace on the break. In Ashley Young, Nani, Javier Hernandez and Wayne Rooney you can see Man United have players who can counter attack very, very quickly.
I can't see many teams keeping Man United to nil this year and West Brom surely can't keep them out for 90 minutes. That's why I think they'll nick it.
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-3

Monday Night Football: Man City v Swansea City
7pm, Mon
Roberto Mancini couldn't have asked for a better fixture if he'd been picking it himself.
Swansea are a lovely-on-the eye footballing team and did brilliantly to get up, but they won't kick the City players off the pitch. Chelsea's players will worry about getting lumps kicked out of them at Stoke, but I don't think you'll get that with Swansea at Eastlands.
We'll get two teams trying to play football and when you reel off the players in the City squad then you can see there should only be one winner. They got a bit of a run-around in the Community Shield - I thought they were lucky to be 2-0 up against Man United and in the end 3-2 was a compliment - but this should be an easy game.
This would be a good match for Sergio Aguero to make his debut and I would play David Silva just off him. I think they should give David Silva a free role and let him do what he wants because he's a very talented footballer.
But despite all their talent, I'm not sure City can win the league. They need to start going out and trying to win the big games instead of trying to avoid losing them. Man United go for it everywhere they go and that's what Mancini needs to do.
Also if Carlos Tevez leaves, which I think he will, then that's a massive blow. Where would they have finished last year if he hadn't been there? They'll be around the top of the table, but unless they change the way they play away from home I don't see them winning the league.
But I see them winning this game fairly easily.
PAUL PREDICTS: 3-0

Saturday's games

Blackburn v Wolves
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

This is a six-pointer already because there won't be 10 points between these two at the end of the year. There's eight or nine teams who could get relegated this season and both of these sides could be in it.

Fulham v Aston Villa
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-0

Villa are my dark horses for the drop and I'm sure they'll be around there. They can't improve on last year because they have a lesser team now, but Shay Given will save them a few points.

Liverpool v Sunderland
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-0

This is a bad fixture for Sunderland. They didn't have a great season last year and have brought a lot of players in, so the last place you want to go is Liverpool on the opening day.

Newcastle v Arsenal
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-2

This is a hard one to call. Is Robin Van Persie fit? Will Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri play? I worry for Arsenal this season, but I still expect them to have too much in this game. I'll say away win.

QPR v Bolton
PAUL PREDICTS: 1-1

QPR have to win this to get off to a good start in the Premier League, but I think it will be a hard game for them. I think both of these teams could be around the bottom come May as well.

Wigan v Norwich
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-1

This is a good first game for Norwich because Wigan struggled last year and have lost Charles N'Zogbia and Tom Cleverley. The away team have a chance, like Blackpool did last year, but I don't think they've bought well. I'll say home win because Norwich won't have faced anyone like Hugo Rodallega.

No comments:

Post a Comment