Murray: I need to play better



Andy Murray knows he must up his game if he is to retain any hope of keeping his US Open dream alive.


Murray was forced to fight back from two sets down to beat Dutchman Robin Haase 6-7 (5-7) 2-6 6-2 6-0 6-4 in an extraordinary second-round clash at Flushing Meadows on Friday.
It was just the sixth time in his career that the Scot had overcome a two set deficit and he is well aware that he will have to do better against 25th seed Feliciano Lopez on Sunday.
"I'm going to need to play better on Sunday or I'll be going home," said the fourth seed. "You can't come through four or five matches like that.
"Physically I'm good. I feel fine, no pain or aches or anything. So that's a huge positive.
"To come back from two sets is a difficult thing to do. Any player will tell you that. And I just feel, because of the way I was playing, that's what was more impressive, because I wasn't playing that well.
"I'm sure in the next match I'll play better, I'll strike the ball more consistently, and I'll move better. That's just what I've got to focus on.

Subdued

"Take one match at a time, because if I play like that then I'm not going to win the tournament and I won't give myself much of a chance."
Murray is also determined to ramp up the emotion in his third-round tie with Lopez, who he beat comfortably in the Wimbledon quarter-finals in June.
The British number one was subdued during the first two sets against Haase but let his emotion show when he broke through at the start of the third with a huge roar of "Come on!".
"I've always enjoyed playing here, so I need to try and make sure I get my emotions right in the next match, make sure I get the crowd involved a bit, show some fist pumps and 'Come ons'.
He added: "They love emotion and they love a bit of drama, and also long points, someone fighting their way back.
"That's what I always did when I was a kid, and that's when I felt like I always moved my best, when I enjoyed playing tennis the most. I enjoyed the end of the match, and I think that showed."

No comments:

Post a Comment